Living in Bangalore
It is a matter of pride that the state of Karnataka hosts the largest number of international students studying in India. Hospitality organisation for Overseas students /International students hospitality organization- Bangalore, Federation of International Students Associations - Bangalore( F.I.S.A-B) and other voluntary organisations have further polarized Bangalore to be a hub for education and learning. Moreover, the weather conditions are suitable and the cost of living is rather low compared to other cities in India
People who recently joined this growing population of people living in Bangalore by relocating here for work. Eager to find out more about this unique, rapidly-growing metropolitan city, were asked 10 expats living in Bangalore their opinion on what makes Bangalore a great city for expats.It was the best outcome.
English Language Requirements
At CHRIST (Deemed to be University) all the courses are taught in English medium, it is essential that the students are proficient in the English language.
International students coming from non English speaking background must :
a) Provide evidence of passing the qualifying examination in English.
b) Have passed English tests like TOEFL(paper) , TOEFL (online) or IELTS with scores of 550 , 213 and 6.0 respectively.
If not , the students must undergo the 3 month Intensive English language Course (IELC) conducted by the University from March to May 2018. This course is a full time course conducted from Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm for a total duration of more than 320 hours.
It is designed to help the foreign students to cope with the academic standards in CHRIST ( Deemed to be University)
This course includes basic structures of English language like
a) Functional Grammar (80 hours)
b) Reading skills (80 hours)
c) listening and speaking skills (80 hours)
d) writing skills (80 hours)
Fees for the course including study material will be US $ 400/- ( non-refundable)
This page should display information’s related to admission process for international student category. The present link of the CU website is given below : https://christuniversity.in/international-student-category
The University offers a variety of accommodation options for students, located around
and close to the campus to suit different needs and budgets. Students are free to choose
the lodging which suits them best. Limited seats are available for the students opting for
the housing/hostel facilities. The cost for the hostel room varies from US $600 - $1000
per year depending on the type of room .
The international Office strives to render help in helping the students find accommodation. It is preferred that the students live in proximity to the campus so as to take full advantage of the facilities the University has to offer. The cost of living is estimated to be upto US $3000 - $4000 per year depending on the type of accommodation and the external expenses the student opts for.
Campus Life at CHRIST (Deemed to be University)
● State of the Art Infrastructure amidst greenery is the Hallmark of the University. With a wide variety of plants and trees , a Bird’s Park , a greenhouse , a choice of seminar halls , a 2000 seater auditorium, well equipped laboratories, secure hostels and modern gymnasiums for men and women, Wi-Fi enabled campus, audio-visual enabled classrooms and multi-sports grounds add to the ambience of the University.
● The Christ University Library system with 5 specialized library centres in 3 campuses houses more than 250,000 books, 600 periodicals, 27 newspapers , 5000 CD’s and DVD’s and subscribes to 15 online databases with campus-wide access and has more than 250 computer terminals to facilitate access to the internet.
● Every student is assigned a Christ University Email ID with 7 GB space ; students can access their personal details and the internet using their register number and password. The website also acts as a portal of information and accessibility which are hosted from local servers in the campus.
● The Christ University Hospitality system consists of Jonas Hall (340 capacity girls hostel) and Kuriakose Hall (350 capacity boys hostel ) inside the Hosur Road Campus , Christ Hall (270 capacity boys hostel ) in Bannerghatta Road Campus , Devadan Hall (1000 capacity boys hostel) and for about 200 girl students at the Kengeri Campus (Mysore Road). The University provides more than 25 restaurants and eateries along with the Campus and the reprographic store to take care of the student’s food and academic needs.
● The University also hosts 5 Multi-gym fitness centers separately for men and women at both the campuses, ample games and sports facilities , counselling centre with 12 professionally trained counsellors , Doctor on Campus, 3 prayer halls for silent prayer and reflection, etc make up the Health and Wellbeing Support System.
● The Campus has all the facilities to nurture the holistic development of its students and the University is adjudged as one of the 10 best in the country by the ranking agencies.
1. Federation of International Student Associations, Bangalore (F.I.S.A.B)
To meet foreign students studying in other institutions and nationals from your own country, you are advised to be in close touch with F.I.S.A-.B who together with ICCR organizes various activities for foreign students.
26/3B, Sankey Road Cross,
2. International Students Hospitality Organization (ISHO)
ISHO organizes get together with local families, awards Kanthula Prizes to meritorious International students and celebrates Indian festivals like Deepavali. It also conducts Indian language courses for the benefit of foreign students studying in Bangalore. They also have an interesting website on Bangalore full of useful information for foreign students. You may visit them, especially on a Saturday, at the following
Address:I.S.H.O –“RAVSHAN” Ground Floor,
Address: Ashley Road, Brunton Road Cross,
Off MG Road, Bangalore - 560 025.
Mr. K Ravi Shankar, Co coordinator. Telephone: 98450-21434 / 25550221.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com.
3. Cultural Evening (All Friday's)
Every Friday cultural evening programs are organized for foreign students at Yvanika.
State Youth Centre, Nrupatunga Road,
Bangalore – 560001. (Near State Reserve Bank of India)